The Vegetarian Butcher


The Vegetarian Butcher

Sometimes you just have to bluff your way into a job, but maybe not when it comes to cooking for a herd of hungry, carnivorous full-blooded grey nomads, especially when you are a long-term, wood chip eating vegetarian cook.
The herb garden at Fraser Range adding flavour to many a meal
 

When it was time for the cook at Fraser Range to go on leave for four days I was allowed to roam free in a stainless steel, commercial kitchen. Highly excited, I started two hours earlier so as to get my mind wrapped around the conundrum that is cooking for a large crowd. This kitchen has two store rooms, a walk in fridge, a walk in freezer and nooks and crannies everywhere. Trying to find anything was almost impossible on that first day. I remember looking for a can opener, even had to get one from our caravan. After many days I spotted it attached to a bench, glaring at me as I was walking past it.


The "smoko" table for a much needed break


As luck has it, fish and chips, and fisherman’s basket was on the menu. A relatively easy dish for a non-fish eating boaster like myself. In the first seven hours, I whipped up three, if I may say so, cracking salads followed by a familiar recipe of chocolate Weet-Bix slice covered in icing and coconut. At Fraser Range you never really know how many may come to dinner on any given night. It has varied between 10 and 30 diners so large quantities need to be prepared each night. During any late afternoon the office can call through the meal bookings which could suddenly blow out alarmingly -“struth – have I got enough food”  was the repetitive line in my mind.

 
You never know who's going to rock up


My saving grace in this situation has more often than not been my beautiful partner Julie who was rostered on to cover the last four hours. She knows way more about cooking meat than I ever will, although it had been many decades since she’d had Tom Cruise coming for dinner.
 
The set up in the 'Dinning' room as it was spelled

That first night we worked our backsides off and rode that ever increasing adrenalin filled wave of excitement. From preparation to cooking to plating up and then just holding your breath to gauge the reaction of the crowd. An under cooked stroganoff or a dry roasted pork, may turn out to be my last supper as the cook at Fraser Range. This night, however, the smallish crowd to my surprise, applauded when I sheepishly entered the dining area. Delighted and definitely more than pleased, I was encouraged to run the kitchen gauntlet again and again.




I looked a bit like 'Barby' (as in BBQ)

I have since cooked beef lasagne, crumbed chicken (whilst thinking I was cooking a lamb roast with pork crackling), shepherd’s pie and beef strugglenoff (it was) all for the first time in my life. For dessert there was Barbs apple crumble, sticky date pudding, trifle and impossible pie. Not bad for a 'vego' on a cattle station.
 
 
 “Could have butchered it mate"



Grey Bits
 

If you like my blog, please, feel free to share it with others.

Cooking on a remote station can be tricky as supplies are not readily available. At Fraser Range the nearest shop is 100kms away – bugger of a trip for a cup of sugar!
 
A work ute at the back of the kitchen

The internet provided awesome recipes. I loved the Naked Chef for his no-nonsense recipes - he saved my bacon several times.

For life-saving desserts (after a cheesecake tragedy) here is a proven recipe which did save the day on several occasions (thanks to Dolly for this one – she knows who she is). The grey-nomads loved it  – many asking for the recipe.

Impossible Pie

.  4 eggs

. 125g butter

. ½ cup plain flour

. 2 cups milk

. 1 cup sugar

. 1 cup coconut

. 1 tspn vanilla essence

Bung it all together mixing well – pour mix into greased pie plate/tin on 180 degrees (c) for approx 1 hour (make sure you watch it for the last 15 mins or so).
 
  
 

Geoff making sure uninvited guests do not come for dinner
 


No comments:

Featured post

Do Bikinis and Art Mix?

We made sure we visited one of Australia's most iconic art exhibition in the country, even if we had to fly there from Alice Spri...

Popular Posts