Larapinta 5. The World Champs of Hill Top.




"What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness"


John Steinbeck

The object of my rest day was to do as little as possible  - I succeeded. The Ormiston Pound walk was left to conquer some other time.
 
 
Relaxing at the water hole at Ormiston

The fantastic-five pointed out a bunch of Major Mitchells in the tree and we all spent a while gawking at the squawkers. I received some tips where to  to camp on the trail, which proved invaluable. We all said goodbye that morning - the young bunch were walking East to West.
 

A Major Mitchell chomping away on gumnuts
 

Julie rescued me that day with fresh food. Salad, burgers, yogurt and milk that wasn't powdered – strewth!!! – she even cooked a fresh batch of Anzac biscuits. The warmth in the rooftop tent was overwhelming during another cold night. I tell you none of the other hikers on the Larapinta had it this good.

 
A butterfly at Ormiston Gorge
 

Friday 15 June 2016

Section 9: Ormiston Gorge to Serpentine Chalet Dam

Section 9 is a 28.6km section of the trail. You will need to camp overnight to finish the section. This is one of the more difficult sections of the trail and takes you into the rugged heart of the range country.



Hiking up Hill Top, Wattle in bloom


There is no reliable surface water along the way, so if you decide to walk this section you will have to carry a heavy pack with a two-day supply of drinking water.

Information from the government website

I woke up soooo slowly that day. I packed up aiming for 10am, three hours later than my usual start. One more cup of coffee before I go. Julie had to call the ranger to help start the Ranger as the battery was flat. She came over and helped us out with a jump start and a short while later Julie drove off out of the Ormiston camp site.
 

One of the Dragon lizards I saw that morning

My batteries felt recharged too that day. The first five kilometres, a relative doddle, until a sudden left turn spoiled the party.  A fresh pack of food plus five litres of water for an overnight stay required an intense burst of energy up that dreaded range.  Sometimes my feet did not want to move to the allocated spot my mind had reserved for them. My heavy pack causing me to sway like a drunk pirate. It took all my concentration not to fall over and break a leg or two.
 


A treacherous, almost non-existent, trail on the ridge with views all around

The rewards were magnificent. This open country lends itself to the most spectacular views. Another rather insipid name for this ridge line, Hill Top, belying its cracking 360 degree, raw view.

 

Marvellous Mount Giles and the Alice Valley

I set up my tent next to a rocky wall that in theory would protect me from the wind. Behind this barrier was a glorious drop that could seriously turn into a nightmare for sleepwalkers. Behind the fall a vast open plain - dissected by a dry river - marvellous Mount Giles splitting the blue sky at the rear.



Setting up camp next to the rock wall

On the other side the range was more open and from a long, long way away you could see Gosse's Bluff. This huge crater was brought beautifully closer by my camera - it was formed by a falling Asteroid or Comet. This gash in the crust of the earth is a significant Indigenous site. A definite blog in the making.
 
 
Gosse's Bluff

I met a retiree named Grant who camped a couple of metres away from me. We chatted about common trails that we had hiked in the past. The Camino, Great Ocean walk and Bibbulmun track all referred to with nostalgic fondness. Another hiker joined, Douglas who talked enthusiastically and continuously, about everything related to hiking gear and his big passion for rogaining. The world championships were to be held at Giles station this year. "This is just a little training run", he said. "I am squeezing most of the Larapinta trail into four days". This was quite impressive as I was planning for sixteen days. Every hiker I came across later on the trail had met this super fit Kiwi who left the Larapinta with all of us in awe of his hiking speed but even more of the speed of his words. Two more practising rogainers camped with us on Hill Top. Together we watched the sun set.

 
Grant front left and the rogainers
 
Photography was just incredible that evening. Boosted by coffee, electrolytes and pasta I felt on top of the world -

I just about am.


Mount Sonder from a distance


Grey Bits

The gorgeous opening photo of this blog is of a long-tail dunnart (Sminthopsis Dolichura).  It was published on the following website
http://phys.org/news/2015-02-unburnt-habitat-safeguard-animal-diversity.html

Long-tail dunnarts are very common around Ormiston Gorge.
Rogaining is an orienteering sport of long-distance, cross-country navigation, involving both route planning and navigation between checkpoints using a variety of map types. In a rogaine, teams of 2–5 people choose which checkpoints to visit within a time limit with the intent of maximizing their score. Find out more at http://rogaine.asn.au/

If you like my blog, please, feel free to share it with others.

Do you want to become a guest blogger, write your own story and publish on my blog? I would love to hear from you. Email me at storiesfrommars@gmail.com
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another inspiring instalment Mars, your photos are amazing as well.

Featured post

Do Bikinis and Art Mix?

We made sure we visited one of Australia's most iconic art exhibition in the country, even if we had to fly there from Alice Spri...

Popular Posts